Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tender Mercies

So, last week I felt like a chicken with its head cut off... I was truly in survival mode with a colicky Thomas and a demanding Maybrie. I was barely sane and truly running on empty. At the last minute we managed to find a babysitter and go on a date on Friday night. I couldn't even remember the last date we went on. Brian and I really needed it. We went to Applebee's and on a scenic drive. It was the first time we have ever paid a babysitter! It was well worth it though. And on Saturday I got to go see Harry Potter in 3D with my sisters-in-law. I thoroughly enjoyed it! What a satisfying ending to a brilliant series. Brian and I had to speak in our ward on Sunday and neither of us really had had a minute to sit down and prepare. On Saturday night when the kids were finally both asleep and we were were studying for our talks, Brian got a call from a member of the stake presidency. He came over and extended the call of Ward Executive Secretary to Brian. It was a bit of a humbling experience for both of us.

Sunday was a busy, but very spiritual day. Taking the time out of our crazy lives to study and ponder on the things that truly matter and what I am grateful for was much needed. The Lord's timing, as always, was perfect and exactly what I needed. I felt revived and grateful to be a mother of two beautiful children with a worthy husband who supports me. I felt the Lord's love for me and found new strength and comfort to keep going. I managed to get an afternoon nap after church... both of the kids slept at the same time- a small miracle! I felt a little more rested and capable of taking on another week.

Yesterday was a day that was truly a tender mercy from the Lord. Thomas actually slept in the swing between feedings allowing me to give Maybrie, myself, and our home some much-needed attention. With all of the time and energy I have been giving to Thomas, Maybrie has been acting up big time in an effort to regain my attention. It has been driving me crazy and my lack of sleep has been making me very impatient with her. I love Maybrie and was able to really enjoy her yesterday. We were able to spend a whole hour together in the morning where my attention was completely hers. We played outside and enjoyed the nice weather. I even managed to get my toe nails done... something I have been wanting to do for months! And Maybrie of course wanted hers painted too. It was a nice day that I really enjoyed. I feel truly happy and grateful for my life. It is amazing how much sleep and crying babies can affect someone. I am grateful that the trials do pass... or that we are allowed sweet moments and tender mercies in between the trials. I think this is going to be a much better week... it definitely had a much better start!

3 comments:

  1. The Lord is watching over us isn't He! Thank you for sharing those moments of mercy, it was very edifying to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer! I'm so glad that you had a pick-me-up, and that you recognized it for what it was--a blessing! When I read this post, I thought "wow, that's EXACTLY how I felt when Rose was a newborn!" Patience is the first thing to go when you're sleep deprived. I'm still battling with it. Going on a date really is therapeutic, isn't it? You reminded me how we need to do that soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love those sweet little newborns but I must admit that I am usually an emotional wreck for the month or so after having a baby due to a serious lack of sleep! I think you are doing awesome and it's so great that you can recognize those tender mercies even with the stress and sleepless nights :) You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete